This is my first recap on Medium. I usually write those on my blog and my facebook page.
My main impression of 2019 is that it was an educating year more than anything else. A lot had happened and during those times I learned a lot.
Following are some honorable mentions from my very own 2019.
- I have a lot of amazing friends who bring me down when I’m flying too high. I learned that fact when I decided to release a book in my next birthday — Sep. 7th. — a few weeks ago and they helped me understand the timeline isn’t realistic. So that book is delayed to 2021.
- Medium Dreamers is a dream-come-true community. I love them so much! I have started this community during July and during these five months we’ve grown to more than 700 Medium Writers who share knowledge and are simply there for each other.
- During my stay in Texas to visit my brother, I got to interview Brennan Lee Mulligan, Dimension 20’s Dungeon Master. A dream come true. All because of writing on Medium.
- 2019 was the year I revealed my debt to my parents and we’ve started working together to bring it down. It was a tough spot but I don’t regret doing that. My life has changed since then. Every month, the hold my finances have over me is loosening.
- I joined Amazon KDP during 2019. Releasing a book has never seemed closer than it is right now.
- My writing has improved tremendously. I’m not saying that to brag, I’m saying that so that you, dear reader, understand that consistent writing does that to people. Keep writing and you’ll keep improving.
- My ability to write code improves every day. It’s a pretty amazing thing when you create a system that is sophisticated and involves simple code you never thought would be used for such complex things.
- Developing a gym habit has been terribly hard. But at least I have made some changes in my lifestyle to allow myself to both watch Netflix and also use the treadmill. I have lost 5KG in the last six months. Only 20 more to go to reach my ideal weight.
- I haven’t been in a serious relationship in 2019…until a few weeks ago. It’s the first time in my life that I want to keep it out of social media. She’s so special to me and I respect her privacy. I’ll keep it under wraps for now.
- For some time now, Teachable was a website I wanted to check out and perhaps create a course from what I have learned so far from writing. We’re talking about being a graduate of a writing course since the end of 2016. The end of 2019 will mark three years where writing has been a public part of who I am. Before then, writing existed but only slightly acknowledged. That Teachable course is happening sooner than you may think.
- Sleep has always been underrated for me. I was sleeping 5–6 hours and not feeling rested but still wanted to do more with my time. 2019 is the year that taught me that sleep is so much more important than we give it credit for. I’m actively trying to get better quality sleep and keep 1 AM (or later) nights to a bare minimum.
- I’m thinking about doing a second degree in Creative Writing. Not sure how a second degree is called in English. My first degree was in Computer Science and landed me my current job. Choosing Creative Writing seems like it would be appropriate and useful if I’m seriously thinking about selling fantasy books to people.
- I’m aiming to let 2020 be my most writing-saturated year ever. People have done so much with their writing on Medium Alone. I have so many plans. Substack is one of them, I created a newsletter for my fantasy world. But still, I haven’t made a lot of money from my writing. I’m changing that line of thought. I want to create because I love that world. The money will come from other sources. I want to enjoy the world.
I hope this recap might have taught you a thing or two from my experience of the world. 2020 is going to be so awesome! You better believe it!